Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Student of the Month

Jamie Council, a freshman, was named the Student of the Month for April.

            “I was really surprised and happy when my teacher told me I won,” Council said.
           
            In order to be able to win Student of the Month, students must first fill out an application and be nominated by their teachers.

            “I nominated Jamie because of her ability to work hard and her hunger and passion to want to achieve more,” Jamie’s biology teacher, Cheryl Jones said.

            Jamie works hard in school and is involved in several extracurricular activities in and out of school.

            “I do color guard at school and I dance outside of school and help the little kids at my studio with their technique and routines sometimes,” she said.

            In order to win this award, it is recommended that students put in extra work/hours, whether it be by studying for tests to better their grades or by volunteering outside of school and helping those in need.

            “I volunteer every week at a soup kitchen in my neighborhood every Sunday with my family,” Council said, “I love seeing the look on people’s faces when I serve them food, it makes me really happy.”

            Council also works hard in school, going in for tutoring when she needs to and helping her fellow classmates with schoolwork.

            “Jamie goes in for tutoring a lot of the time and I think she does well on her tests and homework because she puts in the extra work,” Jamie’s English teacher, Jordan Sparks said.

            Her family is immensely proud of her success and hopes that her brother will be able to win this award some time in the future.

            “One of the reasons I wanted to win this award so much was so that I could make my family proud of me and also because no one in my family, including my older brother has ever won this award so I wanted to be the first in my family to win,” she said.

            The Student of the Month award was put in place in hopes that students would work harder because there is something to accomplish.


            “After this award was put in place, I think I definitely worked harder in school to be able to win this award and I will continue to work hard,” Jamie said.

No comments:

Post a Comment